At any given time, there are hundreds of thousands of children and teens in the Texas Foster Care System. To our great shame, Texas ranks #1 in this vital statistic. In San Antonio, there are less than 500 emergency beds for children and teens that are removed from their natural or foster families because of abuse, violence, abandonment or other traumas. At all times, there are thousands of minors on a “waiting list” for a safe bed. When there are no beds available for them, they are many times returned to the same family where there may be some very serious safety concerns for them. Sadly, many run away and get caught up in gangs, drugs and teen prostitution. Many become homeless and hopeless. Unbelievably, some have been killed at the hands of their own caretakers.
That is why JJM is focused on building a new 100+ bed Shelter to serve the children and teens of San Antonio and its surrounding communities. Existing Emergency Shelters typically have 12-50 beds only. It is imperative that more Shelters be built as soon as possible to secure the safety of our most defenseless citizens, our minor children. We have been dangerously under-served in this critical area for much too long.
“I have had the pleasure of working with JJM for many years and have been blessed with meeting many wonderful children and appreciating Christmas for what it is ,GIVING. I hope to be able to do this for many more years and I am willing to contribute more time, talent, and treasure to this incredibly worthy cause.”
~ Gary Wolf
The population of teens aging out of the foster care system is huge and Transitional Shelters are so few in the San Antonio and surrounding areas. This group is particularly vulnerable to quickly becoming homeless and/or a victim of drugs, gangs, prostitution, human trafficking and worse, suicide. Because of this urgency, JJM has been focused on opening a Transitional Shelter to provide housing for teens that have aged out. Open Arms Home is projected to have 100+ beds initially and be able to grow methodically by using our 5-bedroom home investment opportunity. If you are an investor, please ask how this opportunity may benefit your portfolio while providing much needed housing for teens.
People ask “How will this Shelter be different?” It will be different in multiple ways beginning with the following:
- Open Arms Home will have a Christ-centered curriculum.
- The teen residents will be healed and nurtured with unconditional love, acceptance and a support system that will help them thrive as young adults.
- Prayer, Music, Animals, Art and Dance Therapies will be used as well as Christ-center counseling.
- The teens will be taught how to discover their God-given talents and purpose and given outlets to develop them.
- They will be taught Entrepreneurial skills along with job, trade and life skills.
- Open Arms Home will have Organic Gardens and Fruit Orchards to assist with the food needs of the Shelter and the residents will be taught how to grow and preserve their own food.
- OAH will have its own Food Bank and Thrift Center to assist with the needs of the Residents and local communities.
- OAH will be GREEN, utilizing many green technologies to minimize overhead expenses.
- We will capture water, recycle it and utilize grey water for the gardens, orchards and landscaping.
- OAH has a goal to be self-sustained in 3 years or less.
- We will teach self-sufficiency to the residents and local communities.
- We will offer counseling to the families/friends of our residents in these areas: family, parenting, marriage, finances, investing and credit reconstruction.
- We will use a “Pay It Forward” component with the residents, families and friends that receive services from us, breaking “entitlement and victimization” mentalities.
JJM needs you to help Open Arms Home become a reality. There are many, many ways you can support this Vision. Contact us today to discuss the possibilities and help us Build a Legacy of Love.